At the intersection of writing and life with the author of the Cameron Ballack mysteries

Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Number 42 and Why We Learn

This is my 100th post on this blog, and as I am a teacher, I ran across this nugget provided by my friend Craig Dunham. It's an article by Adam Bessie on the issue of education reform. Basically, it asks the question, "Have we made education worse by burying our efforts under the weight of education theory?" It posits that what passes for a lot of education in America is a zeal for efficiency and progress. Not that those things are bad, necessarily. But one wonders what improvements are/have/can be made.

I don't post it as a criticism of public education. As I've stated before, I got a great education in public high school in central Maryland, circa 1984-88. I have a friend from college who is presently the principal of a large public high school in Alabama; I know from what he's shared that he is dedicated to make sure every student is well-educated.

But as I look at the wide sweep of American education in general, I worry. And Adam Bessie at Truth-Out does a good job of putting muscle on the bones of those anxieties. Since he says it better than I could and in shining, erudite fashion, I'll just tell you now, GO READ IT, NOW!

And when you have, share your thoughts. Is what he says true? Helpful? What correctives are there to what he says?

No comments: