At the intersection of writing and life with the author of the Cameron Ballack mysteries

Monday, July 7, 2014

Favorite Quotes on Faith, Life, and Everything (Part I)

In a ruminative mood, I've opened up a Word doc on my laptop, collection of various emails that I wrote and sent out to friends and family during the long days of 2007, both when our youngest son Jordan was born and spending some time in the NICU, as well as when Joshua endured his spinal fusion surgery and subsequent rehab. At the end of many of these mass emails, I often added a quote that I found helpful or instructive.

As I said, since I'm in a thoughtful stretch, I decided I'd share a few of them, at least a few right now.

"Only in a world where faith is difficult can faith exist." (Peter Kreeft)

"Couldn't it be likely that an infinite, all-powerful, all-loving, all-good God would be willing to tolerate short-term pain for his children so that it may bring about long-term good and growth that we cannot foresee?" (Peter Kreeft)

"Something, something must bring us out of the nursery and into the world of others, and that something is suffering." (Anthony Hopkins, playing C.S. Lewis in the movie Shadowlands)

"Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." (Tim Robbins as Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption)

"Is a faith that doesn't cost anything worth anything?" (Brian McLaren)


No comments: