At the intersection of writing and life with the author of the Cameron Ballack mysteries

Friday, June 20, 2014

Trends & Stuff: E-Reading vs. Print Reading

This comes from a UK Telegraph article from last year, but it makes an interesting case for a rebound in print books alongside what you can download on the Kindle or NOOK. I should say that--as a reader and an author--I'm a fan of both approaches. But in the Telegraph article, Louise Gray notes that the preferences of authors for

     a well stuffed book shelf to one slim tablet and admire well illustrated book over a touch-screen. “Ugly adverts” appearing on screens is also a problem for authors.
Alain de Botton, the philosopher, said he soon dumped e-books when he realised the information didn’t really sink in without physical contact with a real book.
"I'm a recent apostate from e-books. I found that whatever I read on my Kindle I couldn't really remember in the long term. It was as if I had never read it," he told the Sunday Times.
Jilly Cooper missed the ability to makes notes on e-book readers in the same way as with traditional books.
"I like to scribble all over [books] and write things and say 'Well done' and 'God how awful' and 'Let's remember that bit'. I always underline good bits and turn over the pages of bits that absolutely knock me out," she said.

You can read the rest of the article here.

     

     

No comments: